I was craving pancakes but ran out of milk and had everything else, but for whatever reason, I was in the mood to give myself a challenge this morning. For the past few years I’ve been seeing a lot of people adopting a vegan diet (including my little sister – well, at least she tried) so I thought why not try it for myself this morning.
I am neither a vegan and nor have I ever tried to become one. I’m simply a lover of food and if it tastes great, I am all for it.
Reading up on this subject and to know Mahatma Gandhi contributed a big role makes me feel all proud and Indian-y. Gandhiji was vegetarian and during his days in the London, he expressed his opinions on vegetarians consuming other animal products like dairy and eggs.
If you ask me, I completely agree.
During lent, my parents vow to follow a pure vegetarian diet for 40 days. This includes avoiding all animal products. In other words, they follow veganism, but we refer to it as simple vegetarianism.
I, on the other hand, could never last a month without animal products. Maybe I could try a little harder?
These pancakes definitely made me realize there are great alternatives out there. Yes, it takes a lot of effort, creativity and will to change. However, if you honestly want to make some positive changes in yourself, you will go right for it. You will want to go for it. I wanted to change things up for breakfast today and guess what? I went for it.. 🙂
- Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (1 cup, ground to flour)
- Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa (2 tbsp)
- HEB Baking powder (1 tsp)
- Cane Sugar (2 tbsp)
- Central Market Organic Coconut oil (1 tbsp)
- BetterBody Organic Chia seeds (1 tbsp, ground to flour)
- So Delicious Organic Coconut Milk (1 cup)
- PB 2 powdered peanut butter (1 tbsp)
- So Delicious Simply Strawberry Ice cream (1 scoop)
- Maple syrup (drizzle)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together – floured oats, chia, cocoa, baking powder and sugar.
- Add coconut oil and coconut milk gradually and mix well ensuring there are no clumps.
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Make your pancakes! I only had to wait about 10-20 seconds before flipping each side. Super quick.
- In between each layer of pancake, place some sliced banana pieces and sprinkle PB2. I have 4 pancakes stacked on top of each other.
- I topped the stack with a scoop of strawberry ice cream, some banana slices, maple syrup drizzle and some PB2 sprinkle.
Gluten free, dairy free, egg free.
I was not disappointed. Cannot wait to share this deliciousness with friends and family!
Maybe with chocolate drizzle next time? 🙂
… And stay beautiful from within.